Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Their Words Found Lodgment in My Heart





We can learn a lot from our past. To hear their stories and the struggles they went through can give us courage and strength to stand true to what we believe.  I know with me I love to hear the stories about my ancestors and what they went through for the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I am thinking of my third great grandfather.  He was born in Denmark.  His father died when he was only 2 years old.  His mother raised three children alone.  They studied and read the bible.  He tells of a time when he wants so bad to be a preacher but knows that he cannot because the family could not afford for him to go to school to become one.  He eventually gets married and is working for a brick layer who invites him to attend a religious meeting.  As he attends the meeting and listens to what is said and the songs sung, he writes in his journal that, "their words found lodgment in my heart".  He talks to his wife and they learn more about the gospel of Jesus Christ and its restoration through the prophet Joseph Smith.  They eventually are baptized a member of the church.  He serves in the mission there in Denmark for a while.  They eventually come to the United States and settle in a small community in southern Idaho in the Bear Lake Valley.  After a while he is called by the leaders to go back to Denmark and serve a mission there and preach the gospel for two years.    Then about 11-12 years later he gets another call to go back to Denmark to serve as the President of the mission.  While there he and another gentleman translates the Book of Mormon into the Danish language so the people there could have the opportunity to read it in their native tongue and thereby gain a testimony of its truth. He eventually dies there in Denmark.  So his dream finally came true that he become a preacher.  He could share the message of the gospel and did not have to go to school to do it.  He is a great example to me of his strength and commitment to his testimony of the truth of the restoration of the gospel.  I hope that I will never let him down for the things he helped bring to pass because of his commitment and courage.  Likewise the gospel of Jesus Christ has found lodgment in my heart as well.  I know that if anyone has a desire and wants to know the truth the spirit can touch their hearts and bear witness to them of its truthfulness as it did my grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment