Monday, May 2, 2011

Prayer

I love to read the stories about my ancestors.  There have been many recorded stories that show the faith, determination and courage they had.  They have been a great example to me and I have always tried to honor the lives of my ancestors by trying to live my life that I may never be a disgrace to them.  I would like to share some of their stories through my blog.
 

Prayer Is the Soul's Sincere Desire
September 1850 I came north about 20 miles with father and he took up a piece of land.  We hauled logs from Weber Canyon and built a house.  At this time there were about twenty families in the settlement.  All the people were very poor.  In those days we could not get clothes to wear.  I was very lonesome for there was no boys closer than two miles and I only had the privilege of going to see them through the summer.  I worked regularly with father on the farm.  I mostly attended Meetings on the Sabbath Day.  One Sunday Brother Edmond Robins spoke on prayer.  It made a great impression on my mind for he beautifully described the blessings and comfort of the spirit of the Lord obtained through prayer.  I thought if any boy needed comfort and a friend I surely did.  I pondered in my mind and tried to look at myself.  I thought that I did not know anything and I had no chance to learn.  I could look at a book but could not tell a letter in it  I felt discouraged but I made up my mind that I would pray unto the Lord.  That evening I went into the field and knelt down and prayed unto the Lord the best I could and I know he heard and answered my prayer.  I continued to pray from that time forth for anything I wanted--not every day but when I wanted anything and I know my prayers were answered.  I had to be careful lest I should ask amiss.  I prayed that I might learn something about the gospel and how to live.  I prayed that I might yet have the privilege of going to school and to learn to read the scriptures and learn the dealings of God with his people and I remember feeling that my prayers would be answered and I learned that though prayer all the desires of my heart would be granted me in righteousness.  I heard there was going to be a school start in Kaysville about three miles from where we lived.  I was thirteen years of age and could not read a word.  I did not even know the alphabet.  I was very anxious to go to school but my parents thought there was too much to do in attending to the stock and milking cows, and cutting wood, as there was no coal found in Utah at that time.  I promised to cut enough wood on Saturday to last a week and to help with all the chores night and morning.  I felt bad for fear I would not be able to go to school.  One night when I was driving the cows home I was feeling bad and I cried which was not my nature.  I well remember where I was and I prayed unto the Lord with all my heart and with faith that he would open the way that I might go to school.  I had no more opposition so when the school started I attended.  I continued to go for three months and tried to learn all I could in that time.  I started to work again in the spring and in my spare time read the Book of Mormon.  That summer I read it through.  

There is a great principle learned in this story, it is that when we pray with a sincere desire and faith, the Lord does grant us the righteous desires of our hearts.  


No comments:

Post a Comment